Old August 13th 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Frequency Sensitivity of mobile HF vertical antennas.

Dave wrote:
Cecil --- you are begging the question!!

Of course I am, nobody knows *why* things are the way they
are. There is no 'why' built into quantum mechanics. There
is only probability. Why does one photon wind up in an
inner interference ring and one wind up in an outer
interference ring? Nobody knows.

I reported that the addition of 3 or 4 inches above the coil produces a
much larger shift in frequency than adding the exact same length below
the coil [by almost a factor of 100:1]. That is empirical data. It is
real and measurable.

My question is one of Physics. I think everyone who reads this list
knows it happens. The real question is: Why?? Why the difference in
antenna resonant frequency?

I thought my stub examples would answer that question. Anything
done below the coil affects the number of degrees subtracted
from the antenna by the bottom element to coil interface. Anything
done to the stinger affects the number of degrees added to the
antenna by the coil to stinger interface. For a given element delta
length, the number-of-degrees-added effect is greater than the number-
of-degrees-subtracted effect.

Let's take a lossless resonant electrical 1/4WL stub where Z01 = 600
ohms and Z02 = 4000 ohms.

Source-----Z01A-----+-----Z02-----+-----Z01B-----open

Let's assume that Z01A is 45 degrees and Z02 is 45 degrees.
How many degrees does Z01B have to be to make the stub an
electrical 90 degrees long? Hint: 36.5 degrees is lost at
the Z01A to Z02 junction.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp