Old August 14th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards Reg Edwards is offline

Default QFH Antenna and 72ohm TV Coax

Please leave me out of this. I'm mentally handicapped!

I don't know, never did know, how to use an old fashioned, mid-20th
century Smith Chart.
----
Reg.

"Walter Maxwell" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 07:44:10 GMT, "Lee"

wrote:

I`m building a QFH NOAA weathersat antenna and wish to use low loss

t/v coax
which is
72ohm; but is more manageable and less lossy at VHF than the 50ohm

RG58
specified
over a 100ft run!.... ( RF pre-amps aint cheap! ).......

What are the pros and cons... can i use CT100 72/75ohm..... i

believe i can
but, will the impedence affect
the 4 turn choke ????...

Thanks.

Lee......de G6ZSG.....

Hi Lee,

Consider this: If your QFH has a 50-ohm terminal impedance, the

mismatch is only
1.44: 1. Therefore, the loss due to the mismatch is 0,14 dB,

insignifiant--use
the 72-ohm line and forget the miniscule mismatch.

Even if the mismatch was 2:1, the reflection loss is only 0.51 dB.

Concerning the 4-turn choke, nothing happens to the matching

operation, because
nothing inside the coax changes due to the coiling of the coax.

Walt, W2DU