Old August 15th 06, 04:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner
L. L. is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 23:08:35 -0400, "L." wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 22:16:54 -0400, Al Klein
wrote:

I'm not sure where you're coming from with "these" statements.............

today theere is NO requirement for CW testing. It is not needed that I
know CW in order to operate at all. Indeed even if we don't stick to
band plans I don't need to be able read a CW signal to know it is
there, and reconize the frequency is in use

UNTIL the Code requirement is abolished for good -

the is no need or proper reason if you prefer that wording
http://kb9rqz.blogspot.com/

OK, I'll buy that - but again, until the code {exam} is "ABOLISHED" - we are
"required" to have it for H.F. I WILL agree, once many pass their code
exams, they never see a key or listen to a code tape - again...........

For what it is worth and THIS I've not kept up with - I have heard that
there is a move afoot - by the FCC themselves - to abolish the code
requirement. For some strange reason, September or October of this year
comes to mind. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

L.