Old August 15th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
John Ferrell John Ferrell is offline

Default Back yard antenna lab...

The purpose of the whole thing is just a series of lab projects to
better understand what I think I know. I went into this thinking that
I could match up 160M with just a larger coil, it is not so! The TLW
software, EZNEC and G4FGQ's programs are very clear on that subject.

I work in a frenzy for a while on given parts of the antenna and then
sit back and digest what I have done.

I will first scrounge around a bit on the capacitors and see what I
may have stashed away before I spend too much effort fabricating
anything. There is a pretty good chance I can get away with some low
voltage stuff if I limit my testing to the MFJ 269 Analyzer. That is
probably the way to go. Also, there is no real reason to run 100 watts
to test.

I have not tried the Mason jars since I was about 12 years old but it
did not work out well then. I think the glass is too thick!

I think any performance measurements are well beyond my resources.
So far I have not used more than three radials but that has been
enough to convince me that an emergency antenna is easy to assemble.

de W8CCW John

On 15 Aug 2006 04:39:27 -0700, "Denny" wrote:

John, I like your radial plugs... Good creativity...
Strapping the antenna to the wood shed will not affect the tuning...
So what are you guys going to measure? Gain/impedence/current drop
across the inductor/?
Are you going to elevated radials?
There are a few easy ways to make capacitors... Early on they lined
mason jars with foil inside and out... Not tuneable but can be

John Ferrell W8CCW