Old August 15th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.misc,alt.radio.pirate,rec.radio.shortwave
Stagger Lee Stagger Lee is offline

Default N9OGL: Exceeding the Part 15 EM limitation for fun and profit

On 15 Aug 2006 10:32:49 -0700, N9OGL wrote:

Steve the Electrical Field emission for 13 Mhz is 15,484 uV/m @ 30
Meters. Omega One Radio is running a power output 100 watts, and the
electrical field emission a 17.5 meters is 2,000 uV. At 30 Meters the
field emissions is 0 uV You Also have to remeber that 13 MHz is the
22 meter Shortwave Band, which does skip. It it possible to hear part
15 stations on that frequency. You can put out a higher power and
produce the required electrical field.

A back of the envelope calculation says you are way over the legal
field strength if you're running 100 watts. You can calculate the
power it takes for an isotropic radiator to produce a field strength
of 15,484E-6 volts/meter as follows:

1. The area of a sphere of radius r is 4*Pi*r^2. An isotropic
radiator emitting P watts at the center of the sphere will produce a
power density of Pd = P / ( 4*Pi*r^2) on its surface.

2. The power density is related to the electric field and the
impedance of free space (120*Pi) by the formula Pd = e^2 / (120*Pi).

3. Solving (1) and (2) for the power, P, you come up with P = (er)^2 / 30.

So, for an "e" of 15,484E-6 and an "r" of 30, P = 0.00719 watts, or
roughly seven milliwatts.

Since antennas are not isotropic, the power must be reduced even further
so that the electric field will not exceed the legal limit in the
direction of highest antenna gain.

This calculation ignores line losses and final amplifier inefficiencies,
but there's no way in Glendale you can convince me that you can take a
100 watt transmitter and manage to lose so much power that you have
seven milliwatts or less being radiated.

All my DeVry Correspondence School instincts tell me that you are
seriously in violation of the law. Other DeVry grads at the FCC will
immediately agree, as will our distinguished alumnus, KC8JBO, the only
man to have discovered negative VSWR.

Be careful, Todd, and rethink your current station configuration.

"lean how to spell it write, moron" -- N9OGL in message
.com