Old August 16th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Doug Smith W9WI Doug Smith W9WI is offline

Default Dipole Antenna Question

DJ wrote:
If I use a Budwig Dipole Center Insulator
(http://www.k1cra.com/images/products/original/299.jpg) for my random
length long wire antenna, should the length of the wire coming off each side
of the center insulator be equal?

My yard will allow me to have one side of the insulator about 200 feet long
and the other side only about 50 feet. Should I even mess with the center
insulator and just go with a random length of wire?

I am just running this into a DX398 for occasional shortwave listening.

Don't worry about the two sides being equal. That's only important if
you intend to transmit and need the antenna to have a predictable
impedance. For receiving, the name of the game is to put up as much
wire as possible.

A random length of wire will probably work just fine.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66