Old August 17th 06, 09:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Andrea Baldoni Andrea Baldoni is offline

Default AGC signal/noise question...

Hello.
I'm wondering about a thing...

When the AGC reduces the gain of an amplifier, composed by FETs (DG or SG)
or BJT, the SNR remains constant?

Or the performance of the amplifier may degrade/upgrade?

I'm researching about the matter and I just read that, in a BJT for instance,
emitter current is inversely proportional to the noise. So, if AGC reduces
the gain (so current), SNR degrade?

The question arises from a thing I just noted with a HF receiver... disabling
AGC reduces (slightly) the noise (at least in FM reception)...
Maybe just be a side effect, like noisy gain control signal...

Ciao,
AB

.... Andrea Baldoni, 2002: messaggio non protetto da copyright.