Old August 18th 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
bpnjensen bpnjensen is offline

Default Icom R75 receiver, Signal Strength Meter

David wrote:
On 18 Aug 2006 05:46:33 -0700, "Jim" wrote:

I would like to add an analogue signal strength meter to my Icom R75
receiver. Has anyone managed to do this, and what's involved? I'm
looking to take a 'real' indication of signal strength from the AGC
line, not just monitoring the audio output.

Thanks

???

My R75 has an S meter. It appears to mimic a VU meter in the SSB mode
because there is only ''power'' during modulation , but shows signal
strength normally in the AM mode.

Same here - the S-meter on my R-75 appears to behave in near-perfect
analogy to a mechanical/analogue S-meter, the only difference being
that the electronic/digital meter doesn't get the finest gradations of
signal strength variation. Otherwise, it leaves no doubt as to the
accurate strength of the signal, irrespective of audio (audio strength
plays no role in signal strength reading in AM - even if there is a
silent carrier, the meter deflects; and on SSB, it deflects only when
the audio is present, as it should).

Bruce Jensen