Old August 19th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave,alt.paranormal,alt.folklore.ghost-stories
[email protected] FLjeffbeach@bellsouth.net is offline

Default Recording the back of my scanner ... weird voices

Al Smith wrote:

When spirits communicate, they often rely on the innate tendency
of the human mind to make sense out of chaos, to impose order on
disordered systems. It is easier for them to impress the human
mind with the illusion of a voice, for example, if there is a
background noise that encourages the false impression of a voice
or voices -- the sound of a motor, or rain falling, or even the

You're missing the point. The voice is not an illusion, but an actual
auditory manifestation on tape. Whisper as loud as you can a brief
phrase and you'll get an idea on how clear and imposing these voices
are. It's one thing to just sit and listen to white noise, imagining
voices or images (which I truly believe happens - imagination, just
like seeing faces in smoke and clouds), but the whole idea of
*recording* the white noise is to produce a tangible record of their
existence. Most are too weak to be argued anything astronomically
amazing, but some are so loud and clear that you *know* it's not the
human mind playing tricks on you. Something or someone put that voice
there, and it wasn't heard during the recording process, so if any
theory makes more sense it would be the rectification theory since the
mind cannot imagine a voice and suddenly have it appear on the
recording. Afterall, the mind *does not hear* anything when the
recording is going on - only afterwards.

wind. Spirits do not actually have voices, but in order to
communicate clearly and explicitly they must express their
thoughts in a way that human minds are able to deal with -- in
words. They cannot form actual words, but they can trigger the
impression of words in the human mind, and this is easier with the
help of some background noise conducive to the impression of voices.

I see your point, but until you do a recording yourself and pick up a
voice speaking your name or of some other relevance in a loud and clear
manner then you really haven't understood EVP, because trust me - it'll
leave you scratching your head and probably invoke a little fear for
first-timers.

Jeff