Old August 19th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
jawod jawod is offline

Default Sommer versus SteppIR

Ron was kind enough to stick with Sommer until the web page came back up.

Now that I have viewed both their page and the one for SteppIR, I have a
question.

The Sommer has an interesting phase line approach like a log period
array and the spacing of the elements is also a critical design feature.

The SteppIR has fixed elements that vary in their length per each band.

The SteppIR is elegant in its simplicity, the Sommer elegant in its
complexity.

How important is element spacing for ANY design? Does the SteppIR suffer
at all because of fixed element spacing?

Totally impractical, I know, but would the ideal beam design vary
element length AND spacing?

John
AB8O