Old October 11th 03, 08:30 AM
Mark Keith

Evan Platt wrote in message . ..
Is there a ham radio that does Quick-Call (two-tone) decode, like a
fire department uses?

Thanks.

Evan
To e-mail me, remove theobvious from my e-mail address.

Is this about the same as the "sel-call" used in aviation? If so, no.
I know of no ham rigs that include that. But airnav sells a sel-cal
decoder for computer.
You can get a working demo on the web at their site.
I don't know if this would work for your needs though. The aviation
sel-cal uses a 4 letter code, IE: EKBN or whatever...But on the radio
you hear two tones of different pitches. IE: beeeeeep, boooooop, or
whatever. I *think* the two tones heard are mixtures of two tones
themselves, hence the 4 letter code, but not sure. Seems like I've
heard fire station calls that had about the same type of sound, now
that I think about it. But don't know if compatable or not. I guess
you could try the free sel call demo and see if it will work. MK