Old October 13th 03, 08:17 PM
Tarmo Tammaru

Steve,

I had a situation something like that. Wanted 40, 17 and 12 meters, but the
trees were too close for 40. I supported the whole thing from the 17m
dipole, hung the 12 underneath it (ends were separated by about 5 feet), and
strung a full length 40m inverted V from the same feedpoint, but about 30
degrees out of plane with fairly low end supports.

In tuning up, go from the lowest to the highest frequency, or it might not
converge.

A 40m inverted V makes a lousy 15m antenna. I would use a separate dipole
for 15. Run EZNEC first to get in the ballpark.

Tam/WB2TT
"Steve" wrote in message
om...
I have a span of approx 32 ft. to use for a horizontal dipole. It will
be about 40 ft high.

I want to use 2 parallel wires to cover 40M, 20M, and 15M. Ladder line
is not feasible here, so I need to tune the antenna for min SWR to
minimize coax feedline losses.

I would use 1 of the wires for 20M as a 1/2 wave dipole; and use the
other for 40/15.

The 40/15 will have off center loading coils at approx 11' on each
side (so it will be a 1/2 wave dipole for 15M), followed by more wire
to use the span. The coils would be designed to tune the whole span
for 40M, using either the Hamcalc program or one of the G4FGQ
programs.

Is the combined 40/15 element a reasonable idea? Or should I use
seperate wires for 40 & 15M?

I expect the interaction with the 20M wire will require several
pruning iterations.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

73
Steve
K8SDK