Old August 21st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo David Eduardo is offline

Default Transatlantic MW targets

wrote in message
ups.com...

Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

I Think most Trans oceanic MW DX'ing that I've read about is done in an
almost totally RF free environment ( Beach, Way out in The Woods, )
etc.

It is not that hard, since most European and northern African stations are
on non-used channels in the US. Since Europe uses 9 kHz separation, there
are all kinds of stations that can be heard, even in metro areas on loops,
as long as you have a reasonably selective receiver that has the ability to
count in 1 kHz increments.

Over the last few decades, despite congestion of US channels, Europeans have
been easily heard all over the eastern US.

Although it was years ago, in Cleveland 935 from Morocco was heard nearly
every night, especially during Ramadan when it ran 24/7... this on an HQ 180
with an air core loop. The NRC or IRCA club pages may help, but this is very
doable.