Old August 21st 06, 06:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Guy Atkins Guy Atkins is offline

Default Transatlantic MW targets

Steve,

Doug is absolutely correct when he says " What you hear will depend
considerably on exactly where you are and what frequenies your strong locals
are on."

I was one of the co-authors of the high tech DX article you referenced, and
it's very true that a RF-quiet, seaside location is the best by far. The sea
gain enhancement on MW frequencies can only be found within a few miles of a
salt water boundary...better yet, within a few hundred yards of the ocean.

However, with perseverence you can hear DX inland. My home is in the
suburban Seattle-Tacoma area, and I hear Asian DX occasionally, and DU
(Aussie and Kiwi) stations less frequently. I am 100+ miles inland, and over
a mountain range, from Asian signals.

This morning wasn't particularly good propagation on MW, but I still had
audio from HLAZ in Cheju, South Korea on 1566, and RFO Tahiti 738. I had 15
or 20 peaks on other split frequencies showing on the spectrum scope of my
SDR-1000, but they weren't strong enough for audio.

The autumn of 2004 was particularly good from home for trans-Pacific MW DX,
with memorable catches such as RTM-Sarawak Malaysia, numerous Japanese and
Chinese stations, and a Russian or two.

The bottom of the solar cycle is the best for MW DX, so hopefully this
coming season will be very good.

73,

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA