Old August 21st 06, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Stan Barr Stan Barr is offline

Default Transatlantic MW targets

On 20 Aug 2006 23:06:19 -0700, Han wrote:

Steve wrote:
I'm no seasoned MW DXer by any means, but I've been having a lot of fun
lately with my Quantum QX loop. And I'm curious: are there any
transatlantic MW targets that I could reasonably expect to hear using
the loop alone, without attaching a longwire to it? I'm on the East
Coast. I haven't made any transatlantic "catches" yet, but there's
always been unusually bad atmospheric noise when I've tried.

Steve

The other way around I could give advice, as I am living in the
Netherlands.

I live in North England, and I listen to US and Canadian staions
quite often. A few years back, when conditions were better, CJON
(Newfoundland) was as loud as a local station some nights.

But also in my home I heard a lot of transatlantic radio stations..
Ilive in a small village.I use a Wellbrook ALA 1530. A very good
mediumwave antenna

I usually use an old Trio R1000 and a short whip antenna outside.
The R1000 is rigged so the 2.4KHz SSB filter is available in AM mode,
it makes all the difference, but for difficult stations I use SSB,
tuning to zero-beat with the carrier. If things get _really_ difficult
I also have a Racal RA-1792 and a selection of better antennas :-)

--
Cheers,
Stan Barr stanb .at. dial .dot. pipex .dot. com

The future was never like this!