Old August 22nd 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,alt.internet.wireless
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Transmit but not Receive

In article om,
wrote:

A circulator would do the trick.

http://www.ditom.com/microwave-circulator.htm

https://ewhdbks.mugu.navy.mil/circulat.htm

Rather expensive, sometimes to be found on Ebay.

w.

Thanks for the suggestion, a circulator/isolator is what i need. If
anyone has any suggestions on a bargain vendor I'd appreciate it.

Ummm... realize that a circulator/isolator hooked between the antenna,
and the antenna jack of a typical 802.11b router, is going to dump
essentially _all_ of the incoming power from the antenna into its
dummy load.

This will include any power generated by the other AP's transmitter
and reflected back from the antenna.

It'll also include any power picked up by the antenna.

In short, the AP's receiver will "go deaf". It won't be overwhelmed
by transmitted signal from the other radio, but neither will it "hear"
the signals it's supposed to respond to.

That's fine if all you're doing is broadcasting/multicasting packets,
and don't need to accept packets or acknowledgements in return. It
won't work, however, with a typical 802.11b AP-and-client system, in
which the client device has to transmit to the AP in order to
associate with it.

I really don't know if an 802.11 AP is going to try to broadcast or
multicast packets if it "thinks" that there aren't any client devices
associated with it.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO