Old August 23rd 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Reg Edwards Reg Edwards is offline

Default Mismatched Zo Connectors

"Reg Edwards" wrote

Reflections are functions of TIME, not frequency.

Oliver Heaviside had the right idea long before the invention of

the SWR meter.
====================================

For "reflections" also read "Echos".

====================================

The reason there are so many misunderstandings about SWR is that SWR
meters are based on impedance and frequency. Not a simple concept.

Whereas reflections (echos) (which according to Cecil are what it's
all about) are functions of time and distance. With which we are very
familiar.

Unfortunately, there does not appear to be a simple measuring
instrument which could replace the SWR meter. Any ideas?

But we would still need an instrument, a TLI, which indicates whether
or not the transmitter is correctly loaded with 50 ohms. So perhaps
things are best kept as they are.

Just rename the SWR meter!
-----
Reg, G4FGQ.