Old August 24th 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.ham-radio.swap,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,rec.radio.boatanchors,rec.radio.shortwave
bobbbo bobbbo is offline

Default buying stupid in the USA

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
. ..
sometimes people complain when I point out people paying real stupid

prices
for something on eBay.

The reason for that is Hamfests and Swap Meets in general are DEAD.
Finished! Kaputski! Stick-a-fork-into-it! (etc..etc..)
Dayton Included too. I went to Dayton this year after a 5 Year sabbatical.
Fully 1/3'rd of the outside vendor spaces were empty.
Just 5 Years ago this was a rarity and 10 years ago it was downright
impossible.

Why? Reasons are many....aging ham/swl population, SK's, health/travel,
cost
of gas food lodging etc... then again, why drive when you can order new
online
an it's at your door via UPS in a few days?

Ham radio is changing and it is aging. more than HALF the hams I used
to talk with on 75M HF just from 10 Years ago are all SK's. That alone
speaks volumes folks!

E-Bay did not kill hamfests. Hams themselves are dying off and
most of the stuff is ending up on e-Bay where it's a feeding frenzy.
This too will end in a few (10?) Years time also.

In short....Wayne Green (W2NSD) had it right all along folks.

Enjoy the rest of the ride.