Old August 23rd 06, 11:10 PM posted to alt.radio.scanner,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Dee Flint Dee Flint is offline

Default Dumbing down licensing will just let in people that really don't want to be hams.

wrote in message
I have been into Shortwave and Police communications since the days of
putting crystals into my 8 channel regency scanner from Montgomery
Wards.

I am 41, college educated, and technically savy. Today I am going to
go and take my license to be a certified Technician no code ham. So
far every test I have taken online I have achieved a passing score
without doing any studying other that the knowledge I have accumulated
over the past 30 years of being a shortwave, military comm, and police
comm listener.

I hope that others in the hobby do not have the same attitude that you
possess and are favorable to me being new to the hobby (I am a bit shy
out the gate but warm up quickly).

The fact that the fcc has made this test so much more attainable is a
good thing because it invites those (like myself) who decide to join
this hobby as a result of the test being passable with a basic
understanding of the radio spectrum and laws of using the spectrum for
which you are licensed to use.

More people available to be a part of the hobby is a good thing. So
why would you want to try to weed them out?? Almost sounds like you
are being a bit of a radio snob.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Keith

It sounds like you want to be a ham so you will be welcome.

The point that some people are trying to make is that attracting people who
do not want to be hams is rather pointless. They'll be talked into getting
a license by some overzealous person telling them how easy it is and then
will end up not participating because they don't have an interest in it.

Dee, N8UZE