Old August 24th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Default RF Systems MTA (WAS) New Antenna- WOO HOO

Telamon wrote:
In article om,
"Steve" wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article .com,
"Steve" wrote:

wrote:
Anyone have a website address for the R.F. Systems that makes SW
antennas sold by Universal Radio

Yes, its: htttp://www.rf-systems.nl

Steve, thanks for the good word on the MTA, I've been waiting to save
enough to buy one, and I'll be ordering it in a week or so.

I once had their old version T2FD for a few years. A complete lack of
noise makes shortwave radio listening and dxing a wonderful experience.

The old one was rated for use from 5-30 MHz, but I was listening (not
just detecting) low powered Africans into the 90 meter band. The new
version is rated down to 3 MHz but I don't have the space to put one up
anymore or I'd be able to tell you the difference.

Do us a favor and post a detailed review of this antenna after you've
used it for a while, describing where you have it mounted and how it's
grounded.

It is a balanced antenna so no ground needed.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Hmmm. I didn't realize that, but I guess it's true of many, if not all,
RF-Systems antennas. Do you know how the balance is achieved? I know
there's a helically wound antenna element on the inside...I figured it
was just fed at one end.

T2FD - Tilted, Terminated Folded Dipole.

Basically a folded dipole antenna with a termination resistor for
transmit loading and most likely no better for receiving than a
horizontal positioned folded dipole for receiving.

A dipole or a folded dipole is a balanced hertzian antenna where no
ground is needed for it to operate unlike a single wire antenna where
the other half of the antenna is ground.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Ok...I misunderstood you. I thought you were talking about the MTA
instead of the T2FD.