Old August 24th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment
Dick Dick is offline

Default Need advice on 6 meter mobile antenna

On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:35:07 GMT, (-=H=-) wrote:

Hi all,

I find myself in need of a 6 meter mobile antenna. I intend to
use it for SSB at the low end of the band. I have no interest
in 6m FM or repeaters. It must be a whip antenna rather than a
loop for aesthetic reasons (XYL would kill me if I installed a
Squalo on the truck!). I don't care about cost. I'm flexible
on what type of mount is required. I presently have a 3/8"-24
mount installed, but it's easy to change to NMO, UHF, etc. My
previous 6m antenna was a helically-wound piece of junk from
Iron Horse, which literally fell apart. I want something that
is built well and will last. My mounting location will be the
right rear corner of the aluminum toolbox on my F-150 pickup.

I'm interested in hearing about YOUR personal experiences with
6 meter mobile antennas: what worked well for you, and what did
not. I am not interested in "My buddy says..." or "I think I
read somewhere...", 'cuz that's worthless hearsay. I wanna know
what worked for YOU.

Thanks and 73,
Dean K5DH

The only thing I have ever used for 6-meter mobile is a full-size
(54") whip. I have tried loaded antennas, but you just can't beat a
full-size whip. For many years, 6-meters was my only mobile band. We
also had weekly transmitter hunts on 6-meters. With that said, most
SSB work is going to be horizontally polarized, so you would be better
off with a Squalo.

Dick - W6CCD