Old August 25th 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Dave Dave is offline

Default Can't find enameled copperweld antenna wire

try http://www.cliffordvt.com/imsa.html
the imsa spec 28-3 copper clad steel with hdpe insulation is really tough
stuff. the insulation makes it a bit easier to handle than bare or
enameled.

"John, N9JG" wrote in message
. ..
The last time I installed a wire antenna for 80 meters was in the mid 70s.
At that time the wire of choice was #14 (or perhaps #12) solid enameled
copperweld (now called copper clad) wire. Yes, the wire was kinky, fussy
to install, but it had high mechanical strength, excellent electrical
properties, and it lasted for many years.

I have moved to eastern Tennessee, and because of circumstances, I want to
revert back to a wire antenna, at least for the time being. Much to my
surprise I can not seem to locate a source of solid enameled copper clad
wire. Is there any reason why this wire is no longer available?

I will be suspending the wire between the chimney and the trunk of a tall
tree and plan to put a galvanized screen-door spring in series with the
support at one end. The span will be about 120 feet.

The WireMan offers several types of wire, such as "Fabricated 14 AWG solid
copper clad steel (30%). The best choice for long-lived, high performance
antennas in any environment. Breaking strength 550 lbs.", but this wire is
not enameled. (13ó/ft)

Another choice from the WireMan is "'Silky' 12 AWG, 19 strand, tinned, 40%
copper-clad steel. Smooth as silk, tight lay, engineered antenna wire as
close to solid performance as possible, but flexible and easy to use. Our
heaviest - overkill for most work. Break strength 474 lbs." This wire is
stranded and tinned. (22ó/ft)

Finally, the WireMan offers "Toughcoat 'Silky' 13 AWG, 19 strand 40%
copper-clad steel (OD 0.0795") with tough, high density, low-gloss
polyethylene (Nominal OD, 0.120" including 0.020" jacket. Designed for
through-the-trees, sea coast, acid rain or other inclement atmospheric
conditions. Our most rugged, longest-lived, stranded antenna wire for any
purpose. Jacket has minimal effect on performance - less than that of a
year's accumulation of oxidation product on bare wire, with less noise."
(21ó/ft)

Any advice, recommendations, or links to wire sources will be greatly
appreciated.

John, N9JG