Old August 25th 06, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
[email protected] mcalhoun@ksu.edu is offline

Default Solder to Aluminum?

My FM antenna had the wire attachment posts ripped out by the wind.
I'm wondering if I can solder to the aluminum? Then I'd epoxy over it.
I'd just try it, but I'm afraid it might pop in my face or something.

Ordinary solder, no, but there are solders specifically made for aluminum.

I suspect safety guru's would say one should always wear (safety)
glasses when soldering!

It takes practice, but if you'll "puddle" some silver polish on
a spot you want to solder, rub it a bit to clean the oxide off
the aluminum, and then solder right through the puddle with a
hot iron (the stuff will bubble and sizzle, so do wear glasses!),
one CAN solder to aluminum with standard solder and without buying
some expensive stuff for a onesies/twosies job.

I don't remember how strong the solder joint was nor did I test
how long such a joint might last, but it DID solder and stick!

--Myron A. Calhoun.
--
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
PhD (retired) W0PBV Barbershop Tenor CDL(PTXS) (785) 539-4448