Old July 18th 03, 08:51 PM
Richard Clark

On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 15:41:21 -0400, "Tarmo Tammaru"
wrote:

Call it a simple example. I would assume in a real system multiple pulses
are would be highly undesirable and eliminated by discharging the line at
the end of the first pulse. Maybe I should have said 100W pulse generator
with on output impedance of 0 or infinity, and a lousy dummy load. At a
lower power you could hook up a 'scope to the middle of the line and see the
multiple reflections.

Tam/WB2TT

Hi Tam,

I would call your Radar a faulty example.

The point of the matter is that real equipment exhibits real
dissipation of reflected power in the conventional expectation. Your
new example above anticipates this by forcing a failure of that
expectation through not matching the load.

Such problems that arise as a consequence were written up by NBS,
Hewlett-Packard and Steven Adams in the discussion of Mismatch
Uncertainty.

The fact that various pundits and savants have no actual value to
offer in substitution for the oft-repeated refrain "it a'in't 50Ohms"
is that any value offered would be immediately demonstrated as being
wrong through standard bench top verification.

As Ian has characterized this as an exercise in futility, I am content
to observe no one stepping up to the bench for validation.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC