Old August 25th 06, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Default Antarctica LRA36

bpnjensen wrote:
Steve wrote:

Battery power does help. I sometimes run the Drake off a battery.
Another thing that helps with the AM stations is a good high pass
filter. I use the one from Kiwa, even though most of my receivers have
solid front ends.

Steve

Good to hear about the battery aid. I have a Kiwa high-pass filter.
It obviously works - it drops the signals on the AM stations rather
dramatically, and helps a bit on the resulting intermod products - and
I use an attenuator as well. However, the HP Filter does not drop the
levels of the 2nd/3rd/4th/5th harmonics off their dirty transmitters,
as those actually radiate at the higher frequencies, which the HP
filter does not affect.

Thanks,
Bruce

I haven't used the battery for a while. The antenna I usually use is a
Wellbrook, and I always figure that whatever benefit derives from
powering the receiver from a battery will be mitigated by having the
wellbrook plugged into an AC line. I guess I need to buy another
battery and an inverter.