Old October 14th 03, 02:24 PM
Richard Harrison

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"For instance, at a conjugate match point where 100+j100 is seen looking
in one direction and 100-j100 is seen looking in the opposite direction,
there seems to be a "localized" exchange between +j100 and -j100 that
can adversely affect the value indicated by an SWR meter placed between
these values."

If we have a resonant LC circuit, there is only resistance to limit
current. If the resonant circuit is a series combination, we can place a
certain voltage of the resonant frequency across the series combination.
Voltage across either L or C can be much larger than the applied voltage
as the reactive Z`s are equal and opposite. This leaves the applied
voltage equal to (I)(R).

Some day I hope to see Chipman`s analysis. Transmission lines have
distributed inductance and capacitance. A "conjugate match point" seems
an oxymoron to me. A conjugately matched circuit demonstrates this
condition no matter where it is sliced to look in both directions.

A resonant length of transmission line with reflections will have more
loss than a similar matched line simply because the msatched line has no
opportunity to lose some of the reflected energy.

Seems to me, we correct power factor at a load to eliminate reactive
current in the power line. We are resonating the load and eliminating a
reflection from the load.

If loss from reflected power is trivial, we don`t need to worry with
matching at the load and can match at the sending end of the line to get
the power we need.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI