Old August 28th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Woody Woody is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

And for the millionth time, all you control/speed freaks just don't get
it...... If I could take down a message in CW at 200wpm in High German,
guess what? It'll take me hours to locate a German to translate it. SO.....
shot down yet again, a big burning ball of fire falling from the sky beepin'
SOS till ya hit the water right next to a burning boat...

Let's get back on point please. The question was if you had to use CW to
save a life, would that person die?
The answer is simple. If the person in question knows CW, then no, and if
the person in question doesn't know CW, then yes.
How hard is that? Why can't everyone keep to the issue?
rb

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 02:32:01 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Really? You can write a spoken language you don't understand well
enough to be read by someone who understands it? Maybe. Maybe not.
In CW, you can.

Spanish words are easy to write even if one doesn't
understand them.

Ever try taking dictation at 100wpm spoken speed in a foreign
language? I have. Even in one I understand, it's difficult. In one
I don't understand it's impossible. Maybe you're better than I am.

In general, unlike English, there
is usually only one possible way to pronounce and to
spell a Spanish word. You hear "a-di-os". You write
a-d-i-o-s. You don't need to know what it means.

When it's spoken very quickly and in a panic, it's more like
"adhyose". Understandable, if weird looking, to a Spaniard. Try some
other languages, though - those you've never heard spoken before. See
how well you do. Then see how well you do in CW ... oh, you already
know that, don't you? -.-. is the same, whether it's hard, soft or
unpronounced. Whether you put a cedilla on it or not, a Spaniard will
understand it. So will a Turk, even though it sounds more like - -.-.
But would you write "Con" for something that sounds like Tchonn?