Old August 28th 06, 01:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
Woody Woody is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Ok.... you just ruined your whole argument.... you're now comparing
commercial and professional ops to amateur ops.
What is your point? The issue here is hobby radio operated by hobbyists.

The dark question has yet to be asked anyway... "Should amateur radio ops be
held to professional standards?"
Or maybe it's something about saving a life with CW... it's kinda muddy at
this point....

rb

"Al Klein" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:06:47 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Al Klein wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
I can certainly write down Spanish spoken at my CW
speed of 13 wpm

Really? You listen to people speaking at 13 wpm? What are they on?
It sounds like good stuff.

Your objection was that I cannot write Spanish at 100 wpm.
I admit that but I know how to say "despacio" until they
slow down so I can write it down.

As I said in another post, try that in Turkish. Or Latvian. Or any
other language you don't know a single word of.

But in CW, it doesn't matter - you write the letters as they come,
whether you know what they mean or not. In the Navy, we had to read
what we had copied to know what it said - the CW came in your ear and
went out your fingers, you didn't pay attention to it. English? Who
knew, until you read it?