Old October 26th 03, 12:38 AM
Bob Headrick

"Jim Kalafut" wrote in message
news:Pkllb.603335$Oz4.613379@rwcrnsc54...
I've had a TS-520S with a vertical antenna since I became a ham. I
finally have an opportunity to upgrade, and I'm looking for a used
digital rig that will offer some key features. Unfortunately, I'm not
familiar enough with most modern feature sets to help narrow down the
field of eligible rigs. The key motivators for my desire to upgrade a

1. Better filtering. SSB is ok on the TS520, but the CW is a little
too wide and the correct filter would buy 1/3rd of a used rig!
2. WARC band support.
3. No tuning. (This isn't a really big deal...could live w/o.)
4. General coverage receiver.
5. Antenna tuner if possible. With only a vertical, most of 80m and a
lot of 40m are too high of SWR.
6. Computer interface. (This is more icing than cake.)

A Kenwood TS-440 or 450 could meet all your objectives. You will need to get
one with a CW filter. I have seen them for $400-500. I had a TS-440 for 10
years or so, then upgraded to the 450.

Regards,
Bob Headrick W7OV