Old August 28th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg Greg is offline

Default RFI woes

In article .com,
"Steve" wrote:

Steve wrote:
Steve wrote:
I'm pretty much out of commission tonight. A few days ago I started
getting some really powerful RFI going pretty much all the way from
2500 khz to 12 khz, hitting its peak at around 8 mhz where there's no
way you'd hear anything. It's not a problem during the daytime. It
starts just as night falls. It's constant, a relentless noise that's
somewhere between a roar and crackle...more like a crackle, I'd say.
I'm shocked at how strong it is. I walked around a two block perimeter
with a small portable to try to isolate it. Haven't isolated it yet,
but the noise gets insanely loud about three quarters of a block from
my house. Whatever it is, it's in that area.

I'm hope the noise is coming from a street light or a powerline, since
at least then I'll have someone to complain to. I think the street
light is a real possibility, since it starts just as darkness falls.
The rest of the time there's no trace of it. Another possibility would
be someone's outdoor lighting, but there were no suspcious looking
lights at private residences in the area where the noise seemed
loudest. Plus, I've never heard RFI this intense originate from any
private residence. It has to be heard to be believed.

Fortunately I don't hear it on MW, so I can still mess around with the
Quantum Loop tonight.

Steve

Check this out. It sucks!

http://www.supload.com/sound_confirm...=952137038.wav

I've decided I'm going to get one of those Timewave ANC-4 phasing
units, and when I get it, I'm going to use my HF-800 active whip as a
"noise antenna" along with the Wellbrook as the main antenna. I'll find
a nice, noisy spot outside for the H-800 and see what happens. I figure
the H-800 will be better at picking up the electrical noise than the
Wellbrook, which should facilitate phasing.

I hope this will be a long term solution to my noise problems.

We'll see what happens.

Steve

Steve - I hope the ANC-4 works for you. I purchased one a few months
ago from a guy on rec.readio.swap and it's like magic. Works great in
my location with just the built-in whip. My receiver is a JRC NRD-525
and my antenna is an active antenna in the attic.

Greg