Old August 28th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Default RFI woes

Bob Dobbs EC42 wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:32:07 -0700, Steve wrote:

Steve wrote:

I've decided I'm going to get one of those Timewave ANC-4 phasing units,
and when I get it, I'm going to use my HF-800 active whip as a "noise
antenna" along with the Wellbrook as the main antenna. I'll find a nice,
noisy spot outside for the H-800 and see what happens. I figure the
H-800 will be better at picking up the electrical noise than the
Wellbrook, which should facilitate phasing.

Try to put your sense antenna closer to the noise source than the main
antenna. If the source of your noise is constant this should work out fine
once you get a good phase null.
In my case, with proximity to several utility poles with multiple
insulators and standoffs, the noise seems to emminate from varying
directions and with high humidity dew conditions there can be multiple
sources which defy a single phasing null.

I figure
the H-800 will be better at picking up the electrical noise than the
Wellbrook, which should facilitate phasing.

Not being as much an avid SWLer as a HAM, I'm not familiar with those
antennas. I use either a center loaded vertical (CB type) magmount on a
half of an old computer case, or the return ground for the house wiring as
my phase antenna. You don't generally need much antenna gain to get a
noise signal, but having it close to the source (outside) is critical.

I hope this will be a long term solution to my noise problems.

I've had my ANC-4 almost two years and at times it's frustratingly
inneffective and other times is the difference between being able to use
the radio or going elsewhere for entertainment.

We'll see what happens.

Here's hoping yours will be the true blessing mine has been.

--

Echo Charlie 42
San Diego, California

Thanks Charlie. My tentative plan is to have a few different noise
antennas ready for service, since my understanding is that no one noise
antenna will be the best in all conditions. A simple indoor wire will
probably be fine for capturing QRM originating from my own house.
However, most of my noise comes from outside the house, from neighbors,
power lines, street lights...the usual suspects. Dealing with this
noise will involve a longer wire outdoors or the active whip (H-800) I
mentioned earlier.

On the other hand, the H-800 might be too much antenna. Even if I put
it in a noisy spot, it might pick up enough signal so that I end up
nulling the signal in addition to the noise. If so, a smaller wire will
be in order. In any case, I'm patient and I enjoy experimenting, so I'm
not worried about finding the best noise antenna.

I'm tired of running from the noise. From now on I will stand my ground
and say, "Bring it. Bring it!"

Steve