Old August 30th 06, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Eric Ferguson Eric Ferguson is offline

Default Newbie - Just Purcahsed Etón E5

Hello geeman,

As to the antenna, best I can say is *experiment* G. That's part of the
fun in this hobby. Trying different configurations. And sometimes, what
works today, may be totally silent tomorrow. That's from experience.

Look up "Monitoring Times" on the web (also a *great magazine" for the
hobby). One list on their sight is the *Hot 1000* IIRC. I'm not familiar
with the E5. Does it have SSB (single sideband) capabilities?

If you get the Monitoring Times magazine, it has a section that goes hour by
hour for 24 hours, listing broadcast stations in English on shortwave. Sort
of a TV guide for shortwave.

Welcome to the world of Shortwave Radio. If that radio has SSB, you can get
Ham stations, Utilities (ships, planes, etc.). On AM there is the Broadcast
Stations, some Ham, and CB. And it goes from there....

My first station, many years ago, was Radio Australia with a 30 foot hunk of
wire just thrown on the roof. (Didn't know it was a powerhouse station
then), but what a rush hearing that accent, and knowing it was from a
different part of the world.

Again Welcome!!! Hope you find most of us friendly and helpful. And just
remember, the *only* stupid question is the one *not* asked. I've seen
questions here that I didn't know the answer to and was glad someone asked,
because it got me learning new things. So ask away!!!!

Happy Listening,

Eric