Old August 30th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newbie - Just Purcahsed Etón E5

Thank you Bob. I'm not a homophobe myself so I'll ignore the peripheral
comments. After a few days of lurking I've already killfiled a few
individuals. I just want to enjoy my new radio.

I have fond memories from childhood listening to distant AM stations in the
family car many a late night. I've always found it quite fascinating. I
realize it's a dying technology but heck, we're all talking on "newsgroups"
which ain't exactly the cutting edge of the information age these days. Most
have moved to web-based forums. I like to think there's a slightly more
literate bent to the newsgroup crowd but I'm often proven wrong.

Thanks again.

"Bob Dobbs EC42" wrote in message
newsan.2006.08.29.23.56.16.533000@Quetzalcoatl.. .
On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 16:40:14 -0700, M Garcia wrote:

Hello All:

Total newbie to SW and radios in general but just bought an E5. A couple
basic questions:

1. What's the most effective way to use the external antenna that is
included? Simply string it out the window? Up the roof line?

As high and clear as posible is best, although you'll be surprised at what
it will pick up just tossed on the floor

2. Any info sites you recommend? I've already found RadioIntel,
Universal Radio, DXing.com and this newsgroup. I hope you're a friendly
lot!

Sometimes I wonder what all the displayed 'friendship' here really
suggests, but in spite of the overwhelming amount of gay teasing there are
some informative folk who contribute in this forum.

--

Echo Charlie 42
San Diego, California