Old August 30th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Newbie - Just Purchased Etón E5

"Eric Ferguson" wrote in message
Hello geeman,

As to the antenna, best I can say is *experiment* G. That's part of the
fun in this hobby. Trying different configurations. And sometimes, what
works today, may be totally silent tomorrow. That's from experience.

Look up "Monitoring Times" on the web (also a *great magazine" for the
hobby). One list on their sight is the *Hot 1000* IIRC. I'm not familiar
with the E5. Does it have SSB (single sideband) capabilities?

If you get the Monitoring Times magazine, it has a section that goes hour
by
hour for 24 hours, listing broadcast stations in English on shortwave.
Sort
of a TV guide for shortwave.

Welcome to the world of Shortwave Radio. If that radio has SSB, you can
get
Ham stations, Utilities (ships, planes, etc.). On AM there is the
Broadcast
Stations, some Ham, and CB. And it goes from there....

My first station, many years ago, was Radio Australia with a 30 foot hunk
of
wire just thrown on the roof. (Didn't know it was a powerhouse station
then), but what a rush hearing that accent, and knowing it was from a
different part of the world.

Again Welcome!!! Hope you find most of us friendly and helpful. And just
remember, the *only* stupid question is the one *not* asked. I've seen
questions here that I didn't know the answer to and was glad someone
asked,
because it got me learning new things. So ask away!!!!

Happy Listening,

Eric

Thanks Eric. The E5 does have SSB. So here's one of many dumb questions to
come. If I have SSB do I also have LSB and USB? I've read the definitions of
both as well as SSB but am still a little unclear. For example, a listing I
have from DXing.com reads: "This band is mainly used by aeronautical
stations in USB." Is the single-sideband capability referring to the fact
that I can receive just one "side" of the carrier wave, either USB or LSB,
and filter out the other side depending on which "side" is actually carrying
the signal?

Thanks for the tip on Monitoring Times. I actually found that one too but
forgot to mention it. I didn't poke around enough to find the broadcast
listings but I will definitely check it out. Thanks again.

geeman