Old August 30th 06, 07:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon Telamon is offline

Default Newbie - Just Purchased Etón E5

In article , geeman
wrote:

"Eric Ferguson" wrote in message
Hello geeman,

As to the antenna, best I can say is *experiment* G. That's part
of the fun in this hobby. Trying different configurations. And
sometimes, what works today, may be totally silent tomorrow. That's
from experience.

Look up "Monitoring Times" on the web (also a *great magazine" for
the hobby). One list on their sight is the *Hot 1000* IIRC. I'm not
familiar with the E5. Does it have SSB (single sideband)
capabilities?

If you get the Monitoring Times magazine, it has a section that
goes hour by hour for 24 hours, listing broadcast stations in
English on shortwave. Sort of a TV guide for shortwave.

Welcome to the world of Shortwave Radio. If that radio has SSB, you
can get Ham stations, Utilities (ships, planes, etc.). On AM there
is the Broadcast Stations, some Ham, and CB. And it goes from
there....

My first station, many years ago, was Radio Australia with a 30
foot hunk of wire just thrown on the roof. (Didn't know it was a
powerhouse station then), but what a rush hearing that accent, and
knowing it was from a different part of the world.

Again Welcome!!! Hope you find most of us friendly and helpful. And
just remember, the *only* stupid question is the one *not* asked.
I've seen questions here that I didn't know the answer to and was
glad someone asked, because it got me learning new things. So ask
away!!!!

Happy Listening,

Eric

Thanks Eric. The E5 does have SSB. So here's one of many dumb
questions to come. If I have SSB do I also have LSB and USB?

Yes.

I've read the definitions of both as well as SSB but am still a
little unclear. For example, a listing I have from DXing.com reads:
"This band is mainly used by aeronautical stations in USB." Is the
single-sideband capability referring to the fact that I can receive
just one "side" of the carrier wave, either USB or LSB, and filter
out the other side depending on which "side" is actually carrying the
signal?

Snip

The word band has a different meaning depending on context.

When speaking about SSB, USB, LSB the inference is a range of
frequencies below (LSB) and above (USB) a stations carrier frequency.
This range of frequency is defined by the information that modulates the
carrier and so it is a small range of a few kilohertz wide. Here USB and
LSB are the sidebands of the carrier.

When speaking about a range of frequencies that by regulation are used
for a specific purpose such as aeronautical communications is a wider
range of frequencies that will accommodate many carriers or stations and
is more like 100 to 500 kilohertz in width.

Stations that broadcast in SSB mode usually only modulate one sideband
upper or lower. If your radios has a switch for USB / LSB then you will
have to pick the correct sideband to hear it. If your radio does not
have that switch you just turn the BFO control in one direction for USB
and turn it in the other direction for LSB.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California