Old August 31st 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Straydog Straydog is offline

Default Is CB dead?

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, L. wrote:

"Diana Satyr" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Beech Creek" wrote:

"gb" wrote in message
Technology, Politics and Public has moved on .......the original needs
(requirements) that attracted the general public to CB have largely
been
met by BETTER solutions for the general public.

1.) Reagan / Bush [41] Administrations, 1980s.
Low tolerance for foul language and unreliability of the communications
that the CB service became in late 1970s - especially with conservative
family & religious groups.

What a ridiculous crock.

The general public was never attracted to CB. Initially it was

It is true, technology has moved on just as it always does and always
will,
but the CB craze of the late 70's was dead long before the technological
advances you mention were developed and it had NOTHING to do with
Reagan/Bush political intolerance for pete's sake.

It was a fad, mainly among teenagers, and like all fads it's lifespan was
destined to be a short one.

Was it Reagan/Bush that killed the Afro hair style, bell-bottom jeans,
soul
music, parachute pants, etc.?

The FCC abandoned the CB service to the wolves and that's what took it
over
and that's what will take it over again as soon as the sunspot cycle
permits.

What passing 90's fads are you going to blame on the intolerance of the
Bush
43 administration?

WB5CYS

"In part" - the truckers, movies ("Smokey and the bandit" and such) and
songs - made CB popular as well. There was a market push back then - many
models being pushed - along with antennas and so on. The CB craze died as
the man said - long before Cell Phones and so on - came to be. Actually -
the predecessor to Cell - was "Mobile" phone - which was quite expensive and
perhaps not so reliable or widely available then as cells are today..... BUT
still "they" didn't shoot down CB either.

Some day - maybe not for a few years - Cell phones may be a fad........
There ARE still many CBers out there - just not as many as at one time. The
Truckers do still use them quite heavily and at that - some use modified
radios into 10m. Then too, there are some truckers who've acquired their Ham
Licenses and now use it to talk when all else seems dead - traffic wise and
so on. I see many homes I "used" to know people who were users with antennas
still up - but gave up CB due to what it had become. It was no longer
something suitable for "family" use. Maybe now - with WWF and so on
sprouting shows saying all sorts of words even with the knowledge of
children in the crowds, CB would fit right in - since those once virgin
ears are no longer virgin..........

First it was pagers - now cell phones which have taken over our younger
generation AND some of ours. Radio - be it ham, cb, 2 way, has all but been
forgotten by them. Where WOULD they be with out their Cell Phones? I'd hate
to see the reaction if we ever had a "major" catastrophy which knocked out
all the cell sites. Most of these people will be without their drug.

_Drug_ is the right word for cell phones. And, its not just the kids.
Around my neighborhood we have a lot of retirees and cell phones are being
used by them as well, and quite often. Wife and I can't go to any
restaurant now and not have at least one or two or three people getting
interupted at whatever meal for very definitely nonessential
conversations. We can drive almost anywhere for any local trip and look at
drivers and at any given time we can see well enough to see about 20-30%
are holding something to one or the other ears, and if we are close
enough, can see them or hear them talking, too. Sure, I have one and its
turned off all the time (my justification is, at my age, if I have a
medical problem like chest pains, I want to try to get help, or some
emergency, I can turn the thing on, otherwise its off)

Then again - it could be interesting as history does tend to repeat itself
to a degree. Who knows, we could see another surge in radio if the right
gimmick comes along - accompanied by the right "marketing" techniques.

I think society is evolving in the direction of gadgets and nothing else.
I'm also seeing a lot of people with these little ear "bug" things now.
We're turning into the "Borg." And, there is some plan out there about
the govt going to inject some kind of chip into all of us someday.

Its all overkill, overboard.

L.