Old August 31st 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap
L. L. is offline

Default If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

"Opus-" wrote in message

I have been watching this thread for a while and now I must join the
fray.

lots snipped

The term "investment" is very misleading. To explain my position, I am
in agreement that CW testing should go the way of the dinosaurs. I
have no problem with technical testing, as a way to ensure that
potential Hams can operate their radios properly, without causing
interference with neighbors and other Hams world wide. There is also a
safety factor, with transmitters that can kick out a LOT of
potentially dangerous power. So, technical exam = good idea.
Here in Canada, CW is not required IF you achieve at least 80% on your
technical exam. You need at least 55% WITH CW.
http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/inter.../sf08435e.html
This seems fair, to me.

As for the "investment", not all investments are valuable. I invested
years of training to be a fully qualified mechanic. There is
considerable value in that investment, obviously, as it is my bread
and butter.

I'm not sure I recall all the other posters idea of investment - but
"mine" - was referring to the time/cost how ever little - "spent" or
"Invested" - if you will - in the way of time to study or prepare for the
exam - acquire equipment AND to actually go on the air to make use of it.
So - yes it "can" be looked as an investment - even if in a "minimal" sense
of the word.

IN the way I "think" you're referring to - as an investment towards a
"rewarding career" or leap forward into life - eh - depends on the person.
Many do NOT make electronics their lifes work. BUT, many have started from
ham (some from CB and then ham) and went on into some electronics or
electrical field. So for "them" - it "was" an investment of sorts - into
their future.

Just like another part of this thread where "memory and memorization" was
being used, hacked, slanged - the word "investment" could also go that
direction. It is all in how you want to look at it and perceive it.

Just my 2 cents!

L.