Old September 1st 06, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
K7ITM K7ITM is offline

Default Anyone used Superspice simulator ?

I don't know exactly what you are trying to get the phase information
for, but RFSim99 can certainly display phase information for either or
both of its ports; it acts like a vector network analyzer. Just select
phase on the graphical display. It's in the pulldown menu on either
side of the graph window. Alternatively, you can save the results as
an S-parameter file.

With respect to using S-parameters in Spice, you should be able to
convert them to the domain that Spice understands with no trouble, at
least for discrete frequencies. It's more difficult if you need to
come up with a physical model that yields the desired S-parameter
performance over a range of frequencies. That's one of the really nice
things about RFSim99: you can instantiate a one-port or two-port that
uses an arbitrary set of S-parameters versus frequency. (Beware,
though, that the two-port model assumes a common terminal between the
two ports. And I've had trouble in the past trying to get an ideal
transformer give isolation; it seemed to want to assume the non-dotted
pins were both grounded. Try for example simulating port 1 feeding the
dotted pin of one side, the non-dotted grounded, and the dotted pin of
the other side grounded and the non-dotted pin feeding port 2. S11=0,
S21 = -208dB.)

It's good to keep in mind that S-parameters and RFSim99 deal only with
linear circuits. If your circuit is nonlinear, you should plan to use
the time-simulation capability of Spice (or use some other simulator
capable of dealing with nonlinear circuits).

Cheers,
Tom

David wrote:
Has anyone here used Superspice ?

I am looking for some information regarding setting up the Simulation
parameters to view Phase and Magnitude response for an oscillator
circuit (I have opened up the feedback path to enable a signal to be
injected through the amp and resonator.

I cannot find what I want in the documentation that came with the
software and the company has not replied to my email so I am hoping
someone else may be able to help.

Alternately if you know of a shareware or freeware simulator that could
I could use that has plenty of forum support ?

The exercise is to work through the book I have on computer simulation
"Oscillator Design and Computer Simulation" by Randall Rhea and see if I
can get the same results from the examples he gives (the version of his
book I have is the very first book sold and the software he used that
comes with the book is on an old disk I cannot read).

I have RFSIM99 but cannot see if I can get phase and magnitude
together with this to observe what the relationship is between them at
any given point.

Being "green" with regard to simulation, I do not want to purchase a
commercial simulator until I have some experience and am confident I
will be able to use it to obtain meaningful results.

Thanks in advance.