Old September 2nd 06, 07:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
bookburn bookburn is offline

Default Trojan horse warning

On Fri, 01 Sep 2006 21:33:52 -0800, Roy Lewallen wrote:

I've got an additional bit of advice.

Be very cautious about what you delete after being told by a program
that it's malware. The programs I use have targeted quite a number of
innocent files as allegedly being malware. Not too long ago, I had to
spend considerable time writing code to replace a purchased third-party
utility package which had been part of EZNEC for years. Some of the
spyware/adware programs had decided, completely incorrectly, that it
was some evil spyware. I finally got tired of customers asking why
EZNEC wouldn't run, then having to explain that it was because they'd
deleted a file that it uses and needs.

Browse through the testimonials for the various malware-detection
programs and you'll see "Wow! Found 14 files none of the other ones
found!" Yeah, and those are some of the same ones you'll see comments
like this for: "I began using XXX, and now I can't connect with the
Internet." or ". . . and now my computer won't boot." Or, ". . . and
now EZNEC won't run." There's a lot of poor software out there. Don't
blindly believe everything it tells you.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I found my Outlook Express had correct settings, but not using them,
plus the blocked senders list was no longer working after I erased stuff
there.

So now, as suggested, I am off IE and OE and have gone to Firefox and
Opera. Maybe I'll check out the new IE 7 when it gets out, though.

Thanks for the heads up.

Robinson Carusoe