Old September 2nd 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.digital.misc
mike boersma mike boersma is offline

Default HP 48gx and packet

Good points.

The HP 48 is small. Its portable. It has as much or more computing
power than some of the early computers used for packet. It has a 4 pin
to DS9 serial cable. It also has a 9600 modem built in. These are all
features suggestive of a terminal for packet, especially packet with a
HT.

OTOH, there may be good technical reasons for not trying this (size of
or lack of keyboard, lack of appropriate cable [it is difficult, but
possible, to use a HP48 with a telephone modem due to cable issues],
lack of appropriate software, or TNC incombatability).

Thus my question for this learned forum.

Mike
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:
In article .com,
(known to some as mike boersma) scribed...

I am interested in using my HP 48gx for a HT packet setup. Does anyone
out there have any advice regarding hardware/software for doing this? I
have the serial cable, so I think that I am good with the hardware, but
would like any advice.

Maybe it's just me, but... Is there a specific reason anyone would
want to use a scientific calculator as a packet terminal?

Seems to me it'd be a lot easier just to use... a terminal! Or a PC
with appropriate software.

Just a thought.

Happy tweaking.

--
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee, Director, Dutch Surrealist Plumbing Institute
(Known to some as Bruce Lane, KC7GR)