Old September 4th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller Bob Miller is offline

Default help with HF radio

On 3 Sep 2006 21:54:30 -0700, wrote:

hello,

I am looking to start out with an inexpensive even used transiever to
do some HF broadcasting. I am aware of getting trained/licenced, and
all of this is near future.

Eventhough i am completely ignorant concerning the know how on setting
up a station of this sort, and this too will come with study. Im
looking for a broad cast range between 500 and 1000 miles i just need
something cheap hopfully tht would do the trick for now. What is all
involved in this whole operation. from price to antennea to what ever..

Please someone give me some direction

Thanks

Jesse

You could do this as an amateur radio operator. You need to get a
license, though, before doing any 2-way communications.

If you need to "broadcast" however, play music or or preach a sermon
or whatever, that would be against the law as an amateur.

If it is 2-way communications you're interested in, go to
http://www.arrl.org and they have full details on getting licensed as
an amateur radio operator. They have all the necessary books and
license study guides.

Figure $500-$1000 lowball for getting started with used equipment.

bob
k5qwg