Old November 10th 03, 11:20 PM
Bob Stein

Dan/W4NTI wrote:
There are lots of folks running the 'rice boxes'. I can attest by using the
following rigs to got results.

Yaesu FT-101 series.
Kenwood Twins

Newer rigs such as the FT-1000MP does fine also, and the new Kenwood TS-2000
sound good.

Running AM is fun, but you don't get the 'full effect' unless it smells
funny and once in a while catches fire.

"Real radios glow in the dark"

Dan/W4NTI

"Paul Clay" wrote in message

Do any of the solid state rigs from the mid-80s to present put out a
good AM signal? If so, which ones? Is the conventional wisdom true
that only by resurrecting a boatanchor tube transmitter can an operator
get a nice sounding AM signal?

Thanks!

It may be fun, but it is also inconsiderate unless on a little used
band. It takes up at least twice the spectrum of an SSB signal, and
possibly more - hardly necessary given crowded band conditions. Not to
mention the off-frequency heterodynes.

Just two cents worth from an old timer (licensed for nearly 65 years)
and brought up on AM.

Bob, W6NBI

--
Remove spam-suppression X from my address