Old September 5th 06, 03:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Cecil Moore Cecil Moore is offline

Default Dipole with standing wave - what happens to reflected wave?

Richard Fry wrote:
Really, the mechanism is there -- only the unique circumstance you
describe protects the PA from seeing reflected power in such cases.
Other line lengths in this scenario could stress PA components beyond
their ratings.

Yes, the exposure of the PA to reflected power depends
upon the phase of the reflected wave referenced to the
phase of the source wave. SWR doesn't tell the whole
story because phase is not reported by the SWR
measurement.

What is happening with 1/2WL of Z0=600 ohm feedline
connected to a 50 ohm load on one end and a 50 ohm
source on the other end is interference. Destructive
interference toward the source causes constructive
interference toward the load and the reflected energy
at the source is re-directed back toward the load.

What we want to avoid in our antenna systems is
constructive interference toward the source.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com