Old September 5th 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Owen Duffy Owen Duffy is offline

Default Dipole with standing wave - what happens to reflected wave?

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 06:48:57 -0500, "Richard Fry"
wrote:

"Owen Duffy" wrote
The mechanism is not "that the reflected wave must travel back to
the PA anode and will be absorbed there causing overheating".
Take an example of the 50 ohms load discussed, and an electrical half
wave of 70 ohm line connected to a transmitter designed for a 50 ohm
load. The transmitter behaves exactly as if that line were 50 ohms.
Though there is a reflected travelling wave on the line, it does not
travel back to the PA anode where it is absorbed and converted to
heat.

____________

Really, the mechanism is there -- only the unique circumstance you describe
protects the PA from seeing reflected power in such cases. Other line
lengths in this scenario could stress PA components beyond their ratings.

Richard,

There is not such a mechanism in the general case, the example I gave
shows that the reflected wave does not necessarily travel back to the
source where it is absorbed.

If you re-read my words "Next thing, you will be thinking that the
reflected wave must travel back to the PA anode and will be absorbed
there causing overheating." Remembering the context was a wave on the
dipole reflected from the o/c end, and the word "must" was used to
mean "necessarily".

Sure,transmission lines with VSWR may transform impedance, have higher
losses (if they are long enough), operate at higher voltages in places
(if they are long enough), operate with higher currents in places (if
they are long enough). Nothing I have said is in conflict with that or
suggests otherwise.

Transmitters operated at other than their rated load impedance may
operate at higher voltages, higher currents, different power etc and
may damage components. Nothing I have said is in conflict with that or
suggests otherwise.

But, the mechanism is not that the reflected wave *necessarily*
travels all the way back to the PA anode by virtue of some kind of
momentum (as sometimes expressed by some amateurs).

In the case raised by the OP, the reflected wave on the dipole and the
forward wave resolve (as in resolution of phasors) to an impedance of
50+j0 (OP's hypothetical example), and the constraints / conditions at
the feedline / feedpoint junction are fully satisfied with no
reflected wave on the feedline. (I used the term resolve, Cecil must
call it destructive interference.) The reflected wave on the dipole
does not have a momentum that *must* carry it to the PA anode to be
absorbed there.

Owen