Old November 11th 03, 03:57 PM
SF

I thought the question was about what kind of rig is usable for AM. I do
not us AM but I do listen at times to some locals, and is good to see many
modes still used. My Icom 765 should work for AM, and some day I might try
it just to say HI to the group. There is plenty of room on the bands for
their use.

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 15:20:58 -0800, Bob Stein
wrote:

It may be fun, but it is also inconsiderate unless on a little used
band. It takes up at least twice the spectrum of an SSB signal, and
possibly more - hardly necessary given crowded band conditions. Not to
mention the off-frequency heterodynes.

Maybe so, but in my part of the country, there's a group that gets up
at 5 o'clock in the morning to run AM on 75 meters, and their fat
signals do little harm. Good to hear the old timers keeping alive some
of our ham heritage.

Bob
k5qwg

Just two cents worth from an old timer (licensed for nearly 65 years)
and brought up on AM.

Bob, W6NBI