Old September 6th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.radio.cb
Telstar Electronics Telstar Electronics is offline

Default cb recieve pre amp

Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (4 Sep 2006 16:51:16 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
. com:

Slow Code wrote:
(avj 1) wrote in
:

what's a good recieve pre amp? the Dosy or the Maco.

It's amazing the things people buy just to hear CB'ers better.

Sc

The real problem is that the pre-amps don't accomplish anything. They
are just a gimmick since they are unable to improve the signal-to-noise
ratio. All they do is boost everything... noise and all... LOL

www.telstar-electronics.com

This is actually not correct.
A good pre-amp would have bit better s/n ratio then the set it is used
with.
I have experiemented a lot in the long ago past with different configurations
for pre-amps, like transistor, MOSFET, FET, cascode etc...
Best I could come up with was 2 junction FETS in cascode.....
Maybe these days there are better solutions.
But I received the world on a little wire with SSB.
So, your next project: A good low S/N ratio pre-amp?
Probably not.
Maybe you were using your power amp as pre-amp?

Don't think a pre-amp like that is worth anything without some type of
additional circuitry to discern noise from signal... and that's not
easy to do. All you're doing there is compensating for a poor receiver.

www.telstar-electronics.com