Old September 7th 06, 06:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Jimmie D Jimmie D is offline

Default 20m "ringo"

..
The only times I had horrible results with a half wave was a time years
ago when
I tried to make a center fed job, using peeled back coax braid as part
of the
antenna. The decoupling from the line was horrible on that thing.
That was on VHF though where the problem shows up more.
MK

Ive had trouble with this type of antenna too. Turning the shield inside out
over the feedline is not a good idea. The outer viynl jacket has some very
poor RF characteristics not to mention it is a bear to do. Stangely enough
plans for this antenna abound. Shakespeare used to build a CB antenna lie
this called the big stick They latter change it to four wires inside a
fibergas tube with th wires imbedded in the fiberglass connected to the
shield of the feedline. Then the feedline is centered in the tube using
styrofoam. I built something similar using a metal tube connecting to the
shield with the coax down the middle of the tube also using little pieces of
styrofam to center the cable in the tube. This seemed to work pretty good.