Old November 13th 03, 05:37 PM
Jerry Oxendine

"Bob Stein" wrote in message
snip

Frankly, at the risk of incurring flames, I would like to see AM
outlawed on the HF bands, just as spark was outlawed even before my
time. On the other hand, I firmly believe that ham radio is a dying
hobby, vis-a-vis computers, so it won't make any difference in the long

run.

\

Bob, W6NBI

Let's put the shoe on the other foot. Even with the wider
bandwidth with AM, why should the AMers have to yield to SSB? The point is
to be courteous to ALL oper-
ators and if there is a signal too close to me, I just move.
There still is plenty of room. Why are ops so "territorial"--they MUST
operate on a certain frequency or just DIE!
They get all bent out of shape if someone happens to be
on "their" frequency. Why not just move away a few khz? I will move in a
heartbeat--even if a rude op tells me
to "hit the road" (ever heard that phrase?). It doesn't mean that much to
me. The AM guys usually operate at the top end of 80, 40, and 10 Meters,
leaving the rest of
the band to the SSB folks.

The point is, all ops have just as much right to operate as
any other. AM is still legal, and many fellas love it. I only do so on
occasion and chat with a few of my friends on
7290. I run 40 watts with an IC706; most of the time, however, I am on SSB.
I do still miss that warm glow in
the shack and the sound of the CLACK as the dynamotor kicks on my old mobile
Lettine about 38 years ago.

Jerry
K4KWH

--
Remove spam-suppression X from my address