Old September 8th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

Default New SkyWave almost ready to fire up...

On a sunny day (8 Sep 2006 07:08:53 -0700) it happened "Telstar Electronics"
wrote in
. com:

Jan Panteltje wrote:
But does it have a max temp cutout?

No, but thermal and excessive SWR protection are slated for future
versions.

Good, I am happy to hear that, even the most simple thing you can buy here has
these thermal fuses, all AC/DC adapters, any coffee machine, heater, almost
anything.

I dunno any of your design parameters, but say if your heat sink is 1.5 degrees
Celsius per Watt, your transistors .5, and you run 80 W dissipation,
the junction temp would be 160 above environment.
If somebody has it in a car with sun on the roof, chances are you cook the
'pils'.
Even a 60 cent one time thermal fuse... so much nicer to replace then
2 transistors.
So I am looking forward to seeing such a feature.

SWR is of course good to have too, my old antenna did behave bad in storms,
the new one is OK, but I still have an audible alarm and red LED on the SWR
meter :-).
Automatic would be better.