Old September 8th 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dan Andersson Dan Andersson is offline

Default Advice on Oscilloscopes Sought

jawod wrote:

Being relatively new to ham radio, I am considering some form of
oscilloscope. I am intrigued by PC-based systems (eg., BitScope Pocket
Analyzer)

I've read a few NG posts about used HP scopes and a few negative remarks
about PC scopes.

My question:

Given my neophyte status and the likelihood that I would use a scope for
anything more the basic / with learning, moderate/ complexity,
... is the PC-based scope a good choice for me?
Cost is under $400, not incl. a $40 analog probe.

John
AB8O

PS, apologies for cross-posting to two groups...just trying to get some
good answers!

First, go to E-Bay and look for a decent analog scope. As you are referring
to Dollars, you are probably in the US so you are better off looking for
Tektronix scopes.

I suggest you split your money on a miniVNA and a Tek scope. This is an
unbeatable combination!

Search for miniVNA on the net and the E-bay for the scope!.

Cheers

Dan / M0DFI